Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Text message dilemma

So I've been thinking about the text message question a lot, and no matter what the technology is, a text message is not the appropriate way to call in sick. What if your boss never sees the text? Especially when someone else will need to be called in to replace you. Nothing will ever be a substitute for verbal confirmation, not an e-mail, not a text message. Ever.

So on to my next debate... What about the use of myspace at work? Miss Attitude is new to the world of myspace. And what I'm finding is very questionable. Should employees be allowed to log onto the networking website at work? It's been more acceptable these days in newsrooms across the country. It's how we get pictures of victims of crime or soldiers killed in Iraq when we wouldn't normally have access to those pictures. It's how we find out more information about those same people. But what about employees who are just talking to their friends? I have a hard time accepting logging on at work when your position doesn't require any of the above mentioned types of functions. Recently I noticed a few employees logged in while they should have been hard at work. Do I care to see "insert name here" is sleepy and at work?

No, I don't think so. If you're hard at work, you don't need to be on myspace.

Stylishly yours,

Miss Attitude

No comments: