Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Does anyone have a work ethic anymore?

I've been thinking a lot about work ethic lately. I'm a self-admitted workaholic

so maybe I'm quick to judge people who don't give 100% at work. So I asked a few of my friends and it seems like they're all dealing with the same thing. People who don't want to work hard at work.

Tonight at dinner one of my friends, who also happens to be a former co-worker, reminded me of a time when someone at work call out sick when everyone knew he went to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. But to make matters worse, he brought pictures of him and his girlfriend partying on Bourbon Street into work and saved them as the wallpaper on his computer. Talk about adding insult to injury to the person who had to work his shift!

She also told me about a co-worker who recently called out sick, then showed up to a party at another co-worker's house.. that same night.. and drunk! SERIOUSLY?

(And I thought sending a text message in sick was bad!)

When I first started working in the media business I thought you did whatever your boss told you to do. If he/she called and said you need to be at work in an hour, I was there. If the boss said you're working this weekend even though you worked 40+ hours already this week, I was there.

So why don't the younger employees understand that? Do they feel entitled to the job so they don't have to prove anything? Or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with age. My mother has told me about problems with co-workers in their 50s who actually tell their boss no when given assignments they don't want. SERIOUSLY? My mom told me, "I didn't know I had that option."

So if it's not age, is it how you were raised? Or do people just don't care anymore? I want to hear from you.

Stylishly yours,

Miss Attitude


glitter-graphics.com

No comments: