Thursday, March 13, 2008

Now this I've never seen before!

After 13 years in this business, I have to say I've never seen this before: two live trucks drag racing... caught on tape!

Here's what I read about the incident:
EL PASO, Texas — A day after a fatal highway drag racing crash, a pair of local television live trucks were caught on video in their own race at a local drag strip.
The El Paso stations, KDBC-TV and KVIA-TV, were at the legal drag racing strip Friday night when a crowd of onlookers apparently convinced a pair of photographers and a part-time anchorman to race.
Charlie Bernal, a 25-year-old photographer for KDBC, said he was fired Tuesday after his bosses saw the race on the video sharing Web site YouTube.
"I knew what I was doing and figured, if someone gets wind of this I'm in a world of crap," Bernal said. He added that he didn't regret his decision to race the station's only live truck but wouldn't do it again.
KDBC general manager Bram Watkins declined to comment on the incident.


I can't imagine why one photographer was the only one fired! The other driver was a part-time anchor. SERIOUSLY? How do you explain those actions to your viewers? To the family of the victim in that fatal crash?

I know many chief photojournalists and news directors who would have a heart attack if they thought for even a second their employees would even try something as stupid as this!

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: