Monday, March 17, 2008

Being a survivor

I've been thinking a lot lately about survivors. By definition a survivor is:
a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.

This applies to someone who's beaten a potentially deadly disease such as breast cancer, or someone who's lost their home and belongings in a hurricane. Or someone who's lost their job in this dwindling economy but continues to make ends meet and manages to find a better opportunity.

I'd like to consider myself a survivor. My parents raised me to believe no matter what obstacle or challenge, I could always overcome it. They raised me to believe I don't need anyone to take care of me, but me.

When I was in my 20s, it didn't seem like there was anything I couldn't do, particularly when it came to my career. But my 30s have dealt me a few major setbacks, yet I still manage to stand on my own two feet. The one thing I'm always greatful for is my family and friends. No matter what has happened to me, the people I love and cherish the most always support me. And when times get tough, you also learn about generousity and compassion.

Last week I was at Boys & Girls Club fundraising event in Venice and a man shared his story. This man had so much courage and was the epitome of a survivor. He is a single father of two young boys. He and his wife got a divorce less than a year ago. And being a single father, there is no way he could pay for daycare for his son. But thanks to the Boys & Girls Club, his children have a safe and nurturing place to go after school.

This father couldn't afford Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, and again the Boys & Girls Club stepped up to help. But the whole time he was talking about what an amazing organization it was and how it helped him, I kept thinking what an amazing man he was. What a survivor.

It would be so easy to be bitter and to complain, instead he's using his story to get others the help they need. His story was so inspiring and it reminded me that no matter how tough life gets, there's always someone who has it worse. And if that person can keep a positive atttitude, then so can I.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude



No comments: