Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The R-word

For months now there's been a lot of debate about whether we're in a recession or not. Either way, most of us have been hit hard. From the real estate bust, to now unaffordable mortgages to job layoffs, we're all feeling the pinch.

Today, the Fed cut its key interest rate by three quarters of a percentage point and stocks ended higher. Yesterday, President Bush promised his administration is "on top of the situation" in dealing with the slumping economy. Well, thank goodness he's on top of it!

I think many of us continue to struggle and there's nothing anyone can say to make us feel like there's an end in sight to our financial troubles. Understanding that the economy is cyclical and it will come back around sometime late this year or early next year (hopefully) doesn't help pay the bills right now.

I know I keep looking back to 2005 and wondering what would have possessed me to buy an expensive condo and finance 100%. Did I know less than a year later I'd lose my job? Did I know the real estate market was going to tank just as I found a better paying job out of state? Those who know me have heard this sob story 100 times. My condo sat on the market for 7 months without a single offer. And that was in 2006. I don't even bother putting back on the market now.

I also got a letter from the IRS today, telling me about my $600 tax rebate being mailed out as early as May. I have to tell you, while I can't wait for the cash I have a hard time understanding why I should be so grateful about getting my own hard-earned money bank while the government made money off of my money.

Enough of my complaining. I'm trying to keep it positive. So I guess I just have to have faith eventually it will all work out and I'll be in a better place, right?

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: