Thursday, March 13, 2008

I can't believe she ran that red light!

While on the way from work to an event in Siesta Key I got in a car accident. A 92-year-old woman ran a red light and despite slamming on the brakes, I couldn't avoid hitting her. And the worst part is, she didn't even realize she ran a red light. In fact, I don't believe she even knew she'd been in an accident.

Fortunately for me, I had a witness who stopped to make sure we were okay and could tell police the other driver blew right through the red light in her Cadillac even though she swore it was green! She got a ticket, my front bumper was messed up and I was late. But the good news is no one was hurt, my car's been fixed and her insurance company paid.

But I still can't help but wonder.. should people in their 90s be driving? Or 80s? Or 70s? I'm not necessarily saying take all their driver's licenses away (although after last week I may be changing my mind.) What I am saying is they should be retested. There once was a lot of talk about making it mandatory in Florida.. but as long as we're the Snowbird capital of the country that will never happen!

Currently Florida does a retest only for a cause, e.g., after specific number of accidents or other points and infractions, for specific physical conditions; sometimes at examiner’s discretion. And there's not a vision retest until the age of 80. Do you think that's enough? I want to hear what you think!

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: