Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's like waiting for a date to the prom...

As most of you know I've been major job search mode for the past three months. And while many of the people around me fortunately have not been laid off like me, several either know their jobs are not necessarily safe or are just looking for another challenge. It's hard to explain what the job search can do to your morale and mental health. And my intention here is not to get too serious, but to share that it's a delicate balance of handling rejection and still feeling confident about your abilities. And it's all about the waiting game. A couple days ago I received a job search update from a talented young woman I briefly supervised. I want to share one of her comments that made me laugh, but was also right on:


"I feel like I'm waiting for someone to invite me to prom or something. I have decided I don't really like job searching..it's quite annoying."

I also think I'm in rough shape if my job search is anything like my dates to the prom. Yes, I said dates. Let me explain. My first date was supposed to my boyfriend of several months, but he broke up with me a month before the prom. Then my second date was a friend of a friend. He turned out to be a little crazy and I had to cancel on him despite the fact he'd already ordered his tux. A girl's gotta protect herself. So my third and actual date was another friend of a friend. And to say it was a disaster was an understatement. My dad called him by the wrong name, I spent most of the night avoiding him and let's just say he went around the after-party telling all of my friends how I didn't like him. So please, let's hope my job search is more fruitful than my prom date search.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My junior prom date was my metrosexual b/f. He was seriously prettier than me, and I am freaking breathtaking.

My senior prom date was my gay best friend. I had the time of my life, and I owe it all to him. He helped me do my hair and make-up, danced all night long, took care of me when I threw up, and did not ask me to put out.

As far as the job search, your "fairy tale" is just around the corner. I feel it in my bones.