Saturday, June 21, 2008

I hate mosquitoes, why do they love me?

So I'm over my friend's house out by his pool. He invited a few people over, threw on the grill and we had a few beers. I'm having a good time, enjoying the night. And suddenly I see a pesky mosquito on my arm. I swat it away and don't see any blood, so I figure I'm safe. I ask him if he has any citronella candles because mosquitoes tend to like me. Maybe because I'm so sweet! Anyway, he lights two tiki torches and I head in the house to put on my swimsuit. Immediately I notice nearly a dozen mosquito bite son my left leg. Then I glance down to the right leg, there's another half dozen. Then I look at my arm. There are at least three bites. Guess that darn skeeter got me after all. Along with an army of his pesky friends.

Photobucket

So I head back outside and get in the pool because I figure I'm safe from any more mosquito bites in there. But the itching has already set in. One of the people there says I should go home and put meat tenderizer on the bites. What? I think I need more information.

Photobucket

She says you take meat tenderizer and add a little bit of water to make a paste. Then you put it on the bites. She says that just like on meat, it will break down the enzymes and relieve the swelling. I've never heard of it, but think I'd be willing to try it. I'm one of those people who can't stop scratching and makes it worse and the bites swell and last for more than a week.

I've repeatedly tried rubbing alcohol, aloe vera, Benadryl itch relief spray, etc. So I'm thinking a home remedy doesn't sound so bad. Of course it's too bad I don't have any meat tenderizer right now. I guess steak seasoning isn't the same, huh? So I wonder what else I may actually have at home that could do the trick? So I quickly Google Mosquito bite remedies. (What did I do before Google?) And here's what I come up with:

* Nail Polish
* Strong tea mixed with rubbing alcohol
* Toothpaste
* Mouthwash
* Vinegar (apply directly to bite or take a hot bath with 2 cups of vinegar in the water)
* Honey
* Underarm deodorant (solid or roll-on) - apply directly to bite area
* Rubbing Alcohol
* Ammonia
* Bleach
* Tea: Use a hot tea bag or a cotton ball soaked in hot tea to dab on bite area

Pastes: Mix these fresh then apply to bite as soon as possible. The consistency should be nice and thick so it won’t run, yet will still stay in place on the affected area. You could also spritz bite with water then apply grains/powders directly (generously) and rub them in.

* Baking Soda & Water
* Meat Tenderizer & Water
* Salt & Water
* Epsom Salt & Water (could also do this as a foot soak if it’s the ankle/foot area affected)
* Tums Tablets: crush and add a few drops of water
* Aspirin: crush then add a few drops of water
* Aspirin - crush then apply a few drops of rubbing alcohol



So I think I'm going to try the salt & water combo. I think it may do the trick. Because my friend's pool is salt water, not chlorine, and I already feel a little less itchy. We'll see how it works. If you've got a better home remedy, let me know.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They LOVE me too. IF I am outside with other people, they will have no bites, and I will have a million!

I am going to try some of those tricks though!

Anonymous said...

"Put some Windex."

Miss Attitude said...

I now have sticky Windex legs thanks to cajunvegan, but I actually think it's working!

Anonymous said...

Mosquitos love me too, but they loved me even more when I was a kid. I remember my momma dabbing Campho-Phenique (sp?) on my bites. It smells a little strong but I remember it eased the itching. I haven't used it since I was a kid tho.

TaraMetBlog said...

You should buy Avon's nice smelling Skin So Soft lotion, it's bug proof for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I've heard about Avon Skin So Soft too but I've never tried it.

Maurine Roe said...

Mosquito bites are a no-no! I always use natural remedies like essential oils to treat mosquito bites, and they have never failed to relieve the painful and itchy bites. Use them properly and be patient enough to see and feel the results.

Unknown said...

The mosquitoes literally feast on you! Good thing they didn't carry any kind of diseases that can be transmitted on you. I think you should advise your friend to take necessary mosquitoes prevention plan to eliminate the existence of mosquitoes at his home, just for his safety. Anyway you had a long list of remedies, what worked for you? - Maurise Gelman @ MosquitoSquad.com