Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Do I have sucker stamped on my forehead?

What is about getting work done on your car leads to spending at least twice what you expect? I always think it's because I'm a woman and appear not to know any better to the mechanics. Of course, I recognize my first mistake. I went to the dealer. Yes, I know. You should NEVER go to the dealer!

But let me explain why I did. I went because I thought there might be something wrong with my fuel injector. Less than a year ago I had to have it replaced and had the line flushed. I had it done at the dealer because it was under warantee. So I figured if there was something wrong with it they would fix it.

So as you already guessed, that's not what was wrong. It was actual the battery. So in addition to the $29.95 oil change (yes I know you get that done for under $20 other places), I also got suckered into the upsell. I bought the second most expensive battery because it's under warranty for 60 months. If you're thinking sucker, just wait.

I also paid to have my windshield wipers replaced. Yes, I know they charge you at least double. But to be honest, mine have been shot for about a year now and I can't bring myself to buy and replace them. The last time I tried to do it myself I couldn't get them on right and got all dirty. So I guess it's a matter of convenience really. And pay for that I did.

My first clue I should have just gone to Pep Boys, where I never feel taken just because I'm a woman, was this dealership was the mack daddy of dealerships. There was an internet cafe with free Starbucks (think mochas, cappuccinos, hot chocolate, etc.), two big flat screen TVs, free WiFi, a salon & barbershop, movie theatre and a full gym. The pamphlets on the table touted these ammenities stating "So... Why would you bring your vehicle anywhere else?"

The last time when it was the fuel injector I did got someplace else first, but wound up at a dealer anyway because of the warranty. Today I figured I'd just save myself the trouble of two stops. Plus, it's less gas that way, right?

So I sipped my free Starbucks and watched cable news on the big screen TV and waited. When my car was ready my service agent told me they added in a complimentary car wash. When I told one of my friends she said, "That's not complimentary, you paid $200 for that car wash!" How true! I probably should have taken a second Starbucks to go.

I know I got ripped off. I miss the days when my dad used to change my oil, windshield wipers, etc. And he I'm sure he knows it. I usually call him and tell him everytime I have to get something fixed on my car to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of. In fact, I'm sure he'll laugh at this when he reads it.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Digg!

1 comment:

Ms. Sassy said...

I hope your car still looks good! hehe!!