Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My photo shoot

Tomorrow is my photo shoot for a national magazine. At first I wasn’t sure about sharing the good news on my blog because I’m supposed to be anonymous, but what the heck! I’m going to be featured in a popular women’s magazine in July. The features editor e-mailed Miss Attitude a few weeks ago. She came across my blog about being unemployed while researching a story she’s working on about women who’ve been pink-slipped and how the cope with it. “I found some of the remarks poignant, witty and even heartbreaking.”

She asked me if she could include me in the piece, and I’ve done two phone interviews and answered a few more of her questions by e-mail. So next up is the photo shoot. I have to tell you I’m not really sure what to make of this. The only thing I know about photo shoots for women’s magazines is what I read about famous stars like Reese Witherspoon, Sarah Jessica Parker, etc. showing up looking relaxed in their Paige Premium or True Religion jeans, Dolce & Gabbana or Gucci blouse and a string of designer accessories. Then the makeup and hair stylist get to work and they’re given even more expensive designer clothes to wear for the shoot.


glitter-graphics.com

Believe me I know I’m not famous. And I know my photo shoot isn’t going to be anything like that. But, they are flying a professional photographer to Tampa for the shoot. I have to show up with my hair and makeup done. I need to bring any makeup I may need to reapply like powder or lipstick. I need to wear business attire and bring three options of clothing changes.

That was probably the most surprising part. It was hard enough to pick out one outfit I like enough. How am I supposed to come up with three outfits that I look good in? I promised myself I wouldn’t go shopping for this photo shoot. I’ve talked myself out of it several times. But after the conversation with the photographer about the extra outfits, I don’t think I have any other options. And while my work clothes are more Ann Taylor Loft than designer labels, the clothes still aren’t cheap. Oh, I almost forgot. I’m supposed to bring whatever accessories I might want to wear too. Decisions, decisions.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely no slouch when it comes to dressing. I’m often complimented on my work outfits, accessories and of course SHOES. But being in front of co-workers is different than appearing in a national magazine. The only part of the outfit I’m not worried about is my shoes. Of course, I’m going to wear my favorite (and only) pair of Manolo Blahniks. The shoes are FABULOUS and go with almost everything. Wish me luck! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude
miss.attitude7@gmail.com

1 comment:

Brooke said...

That is so exciting!
I can't wait to see you in a magazine--how cool.