Saturday, April 19, 2008

Call me Professor Attittude

I have some great news. Miss Attitude is going to be teaching college classes. It's been in the works for several months, but now it's official. I was on the campus earlier this week filling out all of my paperwork, getting my I.D. and registering my car.

I'm so excited about this opportunity. Teaching is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember. But I must admit, I'm a little nervous too. Since the classes are during summer session, I will be teaching two nights a week for four hours each night. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep the students interested for that long.

I'm working on my syllabus now, which by the way, I haven't seen one of these since I was in college. And a lot has changed since then. Not to date myself, but we didn't have internet access. We finally got e-mail my junior year, but it was new and hardly the accepted way to communicate with professors or anything. I typed all of my papers on a word processor.

A few techie people did have computers with internet access, but it was a pretty new concept. I think they finally offered a course on the Web my senior year, but by then I was interning in TV and really just taking classes to finish and graduate.
The students now don't know anything other than the Web and texting.

I actually have to write in my syllabus do not use your computer during class for Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, etc. and don't think about text messaging. I can't imagine how different my college experience would have been if we'd had all of those things. I also think of how distracting it is to know that it's all there waiting to be read while you're sitting in class with the boring professor rambling on.

So, that's my challenge. I have to keep it interesting and engaging while teaching them what they need to know. I'd say that is a challenge. But one I'm really looking forward to. Wish me luck!

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude
miss.attitude7@gmail.com

No comments: