Monday, April 21, 2008

Problems sleeping

I've told you before about some of the challenges of being unemployed, but this one is definitely a hard one to beat. I've been having a hard time falling asleep. Often I stay up until 2 or 3 a.m. because my mind is going 100 m.p.h. In fact, it seems that my mind really kicks into gear about midnight, instead of slowing down. So then, after I finally fall asleep I usually wake up about three hours later, and again 3 hours after that.

Last night I promised myself I was going to bed at midnight so I could get up at a decent time this morning and walk before it got too hot. So at midnight I turned off the TV and the computer and went into the bedroom. I got out my book from book club and starting reading. The next thing I knew it was 2 a.m. and I wasn't the least bit tired. Plus, I was so close to finishing the book. So I kept reading. Then it was 3 a.m. and I finished the book.

Now, I realize the stress and anxiety of being laid off is keeping my mind busy. And, I'm guessing reading a book about people getting laid off (Then We Came to the End) isn't helping. But now that I finished that book, maybe I can find a little lighter reading tonight. But what other things can I do to relax?

I tried About.com for some tips on helping me sleep. But not much of these tips are looking like a great plan. Power napping? To me a nap is a two hour in bed event, not a quick 15 minutes on the couch. Listening to music, I guarantee that's not going to quiet my mind. Now a massage sounds great, if only there was someone to give me one:) The same goes for this fabulous tip:
Sex
For those in a committed relationship, sex is known as a great nighttime stress reliever for a reason! Not only does a healthy sex life enhance your relationship, but it relaxes your body, releases ‘happy’ chemicals, and even promotes wellness. And, of course, it welcomes sleep.
What so now on top of being unemployed and having trouble sleeping, you're rubbing it in that I'm single?!?!?!?!

How about any of you? Do you have any tips for falling asleep and staying asleep when you're stressed or anxious? E-mail me at miss.attitude7@gmail.com.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: