Tuesday, April 1, 2008

New Kids on the Block reunion

Okay, I know all of my guy friends are making fun of me right now. And probably some of my girl friends too. But I couldn't resist a blog about my favorite boy band New Kids on the Block.

Yesterday People.com reported Donnie, Jonathan, Jordan, Danny and Joey are getting back together. And they're going to be on the Today Show Friday! Sadly it's just in time for the 20th anniversary of Hangin' Tough. Wow, I'm old! If that album is 20 years old.. but I'm getting distracted.

There have been rumors about this reunion for a while now. And I have to tell you, I'm not really sure it's going to be a hit. A few years ago I saw Jordan, my favorite, in a club in Ybor City. Yes, I withstood the mockery of everyone I know including the guy I was dating, to go see the show with one of my friends. The show was very tragic. While, I still think Jordan is just as adorable now as he was then, it was pathetic. He was playing the keyboard and singing along to New Kids on the Block songs. It was like a car accident though, you just couldn't look away. And for him, I guess it was still good, there were tons of groupies waiting to get back stage.

And now let's talk about the last reunion they had. The one when the relaunched themselves as NKOTB. I've never been more disappointed by a concert in my life. I was in college, and again withstood the mockery of my friends including sorority sisters who proceeded to tell a bunch of fraternity guys where I was instead of at the party I organized.

First, we stood outside in line for the club for a long time. Then when we get there we stand around and waited, and waited. There's no opening act and NKOTB is really late. Finally, finally they take the stage and it's with a bunch of "fly girl" type dancers bumping and grinding on them as they sang. Well if you were a New Kid fan for as long as I was, you didn't want to see some hoochie mama practically making out with the one you've have a crush on. Wait, I guess I'm sounding a little bitter for a 30+ woman, huh?

Back to the show, it was very short, maybe 45 minutes, and they sang a bunch of the new songs, which no one cared about and didn't even know. It was a total rip off. They acted like they really didn't want to be there and all they wanted was the money. Which is maybe all they're after this time!

Since he started acting seriously, Donnie hasn't wanted anything to do with a reunion. And Jonathan, with his stage fright, has repeatedly said he wants nothing to do with going back to singing. But Jordan, Danny and Joey have all kept a hand in the music business and I bet it would be great for their careers. So how did they get the others to agree? And will thirtysomething men be able to woo the hearts of the ladies while carrying a tune and dancing around like they did in their teens and twenties?

All I know is I'm going to be watching.

Stylishly (& slightly embarrassed) yours,
Miss Attitude

1 comment:

Unknown said...

having stage fright is just normal. All people go this fear in speaking in front of people so we cannot blame one person if he cursed being in front of many people but we can fight this fear and make being in front of many people be one wonderful thing to do, so here is something that might help to fight stage fright:

Stage fright can leave many singers disoriented and searching for the lyrics they thought they knew. Many experts say that you don’t know your performance well enough unless you can perform it under any circumstance at any time. While this might sound extreme, it is a sure-fire way to calm your fears about messing up your act or forgetting your lyrics. But what does it take to be able to perform anywhere, anytime? Try some, or all, or these practice techniques to help you get there. Before you know your performance, you should be able to sing it perfectly just after waking up in the middle of the night and in front of any audience.