Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Being unemployed

I've been debating about writing this blog for about three weeks now. I've been debating it because it's very personal to me. But yesterday, I remembered hearing the voice of my college creative writing professor. He told me to write only about what I know. He praised me for being a talented writer, but thought I only wrote about trivial topics. So, Dr. Waters this one is for you. And for me too.

According to Dictionary.com unemployment is the state of being unemployed, esp. involuntarily

It's the especially involuntary part that hits home. Three weeks ago, my employer laid me off along with several others. And I know this has happened to some of my friends, relatives, heck it's happening to tons of people across the country right now. But it's happened to me twice in the last two years. Last time it was a management change at a tv station where I worked for nearly seven years.

And while it isn't as devastating this time around, it still hurts. And I'm still embarrassed, I still feel betrayed, I still feel like I did something wrong or that all that hard work was for nothing. And that definition of unemployment definitely isn't in the dictionary.

Or maybe it's a sign. Maybe I'm meant to do something else with my life. Maybe I'm supposed to be doing more than spending ten hours a day in a newsroom, two hours a day commuting, teaching everyone to use proper grammar and spell correctly and answering phone calls from employees 24/7. Maybe I should use my passion to find another career. It's definitely time to readjust and reassess.

The biggest challenge for me is I'm not a sit and home and lick my wounds kind of girl. I'm more of let's go get another job ASAP kind of girl. So it's been tough to take some time for me. I'm doing some freelance writing work (yes, Miss Attitude will still be published in Attitudes magazine) to keep me busy. It's also getting me out there to meet new people and experience different things. Which is a nice change from sitting in one place for ten hours a day!

I'm also using this time to enjoy the life I was letting pass me by while I was working so hard. I've already been able to enjoy dinner with friends more often, heck one of my friends even invited me over and cooked me breakfast. I've been able to go walking on Bayshore Boulevard and enjoy this beautiful Tampa weather instead of being too tired or it being too dark to go. I even gave myself permission to go out to the pool yesterday and read a book in the middle of the day!

And lastly, I'm trying to be appreciative for the things I do have. And with impending mortgage payments and no full-time job, it's tough, believe me. But I'm very thankful for my supportive family and friends. My closest friends have always been there for me and they are again this time too. Plus, sometimes situations like this make you appreciate people you may not have even considered close friends. They've all been so thoughtful, generous and caring.

So maybe being unemployed isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it's really just the kick in the pants I needed to make my career more rewarding to me.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

P.S. If you're going through a similar situation, I'd love to hear from you. You can e-mail me at miss.attitude7@gmail.com.

No comments: