Saturday, April 12, 2008

A support team

When I talked about being unemployed last week, I mentioned how important it was to me that I have supportive friends and family. Since writing that blog I've been thinking a lot more about support and how important it is during difficult times in your life.

I recently spoke with an executive coach who says when you're unemployed, or going through any big life change, you need to build a support team and surround yourself with motivating people. And what I've realized is motivating people aren't always people already in your life, they can be new friends you meet along the way or even people who read your blog. One reader sent me this comment:

"As I'm writing this comment and knowing that you are a professional writer I find myself being extra careful with what and how I write...lol...just a little self-conscious. I even looked up a word in the dictionary to make sure it was spelled right, (ok, more than one word).

I just want to congratulate you on being transparent. So many people go through similar situations and feel embarrassed and alone not knowing how to cope. Just knowing that they are not alone can make a difference in someone's life.

I've been there too, so I understand."


Here's what another woman had to say:

"I have been laid off twice, scary, yes, but also a blessing in disguise. The first time it gave me the 'push' I needed to step away from classroom education (I was a middle school teacher) and embark on a career in publishing (I began doing teacher product workshops for Macmillan). The next time it prompted me to start my own freelance writing company.Your silver lining will show itself too!"

I can't tell you how much these comments mean to me. It's very easy to get down on yourself when you're out of work and looking for not only a new job, but a change of career. For weeks I've been applying for jobs without a lot of luck. I know eventually I'm going to find what I want.

But that doesn't make the search any easier. It's hard to go from being a workaholic, easily putting in 70-80 hours a week, to having down time. It's challenging for a person like me, accustomed to going non-stop, to stop and reflect and ask yourself what it is you really want out of your life. But it's also what you need to do. I do know that.

I hope sharing my story helps other people in the same situation, because I know there are a lot out there right now. But you see, it helps me too. There's something about writing it all down and getting it out that makes you understand yourself better.

So thank you to everyone who's read my blog or e-mailed me. I really appreciate the support. Please continue to share your comments or stories. You can e-mail me at miss.attitude7@gmail.com.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: