Saturday, April 26, 2008

$900 sheets

So last night I was at a bar in South Tampa with two of my friends. At one point I look over and one of my friends is talking to this guy. They seem to be having an interesting conversation almost like he's flirting with her, though I'm convinced he's gay. She leans over and brings us into their conversation.

She wants to know what we think about spending $900 on a set of sheets. Apparently that's what this guy has done. My immediate reaction is this guy freakin' kidding me? He clearly has too much money if he can spend that much on sheets for his bed. And then I think why is he even telling her about it? Who would brag about that? For some of us that's two or three car payments!

He proceeds to go on and on about his 1000 count (or higher since I didn't really pay much attention past the mention of the price tag) sheets and how comfortable they are. My other friend looks at me and says "I'm not getting it. Is he lying?"

Both of us excuse ourselves and head to the bathroom. Yes, we did have to go to the bathroom, but it was also our chance to discuss this guy. We get in there and we're laughing about it. I'm still talking to her while I'm washing my hands and she's in a stall. That's when two other girls walk into the bathroom.

I can't help myself. I tell them about this guy and his ridiculously expensive sheets. The one girl who just walked into one of the stalls opens the door back up just to joke with us about it. The other one looks at me and says, "Only gay men spend $900 on sheets!" See I'm not crazy. My gaydar is usually pretty accurate.

So we head back to the bar and he's moved on to talking about something else, but I can't stop thinking about the sheets. I just don't understand and I tell him that. He then explains "the pillowcases were included." As if that makes it better! Seriously what is this guy's deal?

A few minutes later I overhear him telling her about his Harley. Now, I know those are pretty darn expensive too. And I'm not trying to stereotype, but I don't know too many gay men who drive Harleys. I'm sure some of them do, but none of the ones I know. So maybe I'm wrong and maybe he's straight, which I'm beginning to think since he leans over and tells her he doesn't normally do this, but he's going to give her his phone number.

He gives her a card. He's a pilot for a big shipping company, which maybe explains the money. He tells her he'd like to maybe hang out sometime and with that he leaves. Then, I'm even more confused. Maybe he was bragging about his sheets because he wanted to get her in them. If so, why didn't he even bother to buy her a drink?

Seriously, he kept telling her to order a martini, but then never offered to pay for it. If he has that much money and he's bragging about spending that much cash on sheets, he should have offered to buy her at least one drink. It would have been the gentlemanly thing to do in my humble opinion. Especially if he's not gay and wants to take her out on a date.

As I sat down to write the blog today I told another one of my friends about this guy and she said, "That's just asinine that's just somebody who has more money than they know what to do with?

Stylishly yours with my Ralph Lauren sheets from Marshalls,
Miss Attitude

1 comment:

Ms. Sassy said...

Okay, well let me tell you if I pay that much for sheets, I better be getting more than a better nights sleep, if you know what I mean. But since he said that the pillow cases were included, well that makes much more sense. I mean if only that sheets cost that much that would be crazy!