Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I'm cheating.. a little

Instead of a typical blog today, I'm going to share one of my columns. I know a lot of you don't get to read Attitudes magazine since you don't live in Sarasota or Manatee Counties. And unfortunately at this point, the articles are NOT available online. So since May's is about to be published, I figured I'd share April's with you now. Hope you enjoy!

Dear Attitude Readers:

I’ve been so busy since I introduced myself to you last month. After swearing on my favorite pair of Manolos to give you the best advice I can, some of you still seem hesitant to e-mail me your problems. But you’re definitely not shy about what you think is acceptable behavior.
Recently Miss Attitude had a dating disaster of her own, getting dumped before the first date by a man she met on eHarmony. After talking on the phone for several hours and multiple text messages we made plans for a date. But two days later, I didn’t hear anything from him, not a call, not a text message.
Then I finally received an email.
“I have really enjoyed talking with you but some things have come up personally where dating would not be a good idea for me right now. Sorry for not calling you back but I've just been really busy for my own personal reasons. I really wish you luck in looking for someone you seem like a really sweet girl.”
Some of you definitely had something to say about that.
“Not only is it poorly written, it's in poor taste. What a lame-o.”
“This is romantic evolution. This man is not one of the fittest of the species, so clearly he would not make a good mate. And his lame email is just natural selection at work. You are the top of the food chain and he’s just plankton.”
Cheating also came up. What makes people be unfaithful? How do they go home at night with that lie tucked away and not feel guilty?
One reader admitted she knew it was never okay to cheat, but justified the behavior anyway.
“It is wrong, unfair, dishonest and sleazy. In most cases, I presume, the person cheating still loves their significant other with all their heart. But something is missing. Maybe you’ve had conversations with that person, serious conversations. And things change for a day, maybe two. But then, it goes back to nothing. No help, no passion, no romance.”
I know I’m single and try not to judge, but just get a divorce and then do what you want to do. I believe when you’re married Even as a single person, I would never knowingly have an affair with a married man. Period.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

E-mail your dating dilemma or coworker crisis to miss.attitude7@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Queenie said...

Personally, I've given up online dating. I never seem to get matched up with the right people. The guy who stood you up probably has extenuating circumstances (e.g. wife, girlfriend, etc.), and ultimately did you a favor.