Thursday, May 29, 2008

Please tell me you aren't wearing a scrunchie!

This post is in dedicated to one of my friends in Memphis who still wears scrunchies.
Now, I've been teasing her about this for two years now, and have finally decided to write about it because it's a great tie-in to Sex and the City. In all fairness to her, I need to admit that when we first became friends in college I wore scrunchies too. But that was in the early 90s. Now it's 2008, time to throw them away and move on to something a little more stylish.

Photobucket

Now my friend wouldn't wear a holiday themed scrunchie, but she does wear the plain ones all the time. She has long hair and I understand the need to pull it back, but can't you just use a rubber band or a hair clip Photobucket
like the rest of us? Plus, most of the time it's on her wrist and not in her hair.

When I moved to Memphis two years ago, I tried to show her the light. I even referenced the SATC scrunchie episode from Season 6, but that argument didn't work because she doesn't watch SATC! While I didn't really like the Jack Berger episodes, and thought he was a jerk right from the start, those episodes were very cleverly written. I loved when Carrie told him no woman from NYC would be caught dead wearing a scrunchie. She told him it was the only flaw in his beautifully written book, "You have your leading lady running all over town wearing a scrunchie (smacks him on the head).. a scrunchie!"
Photobucket
Berger says, "Uh, the hair thing? What's the wrong with that?" Carrie replies, "Well nothing, unless you're writing about women on the island of Manhattan, in which case, where do I begin?" Of course not only does that hurt his ego, it sends him on the defense. And he thinks he's finally won the argument, when they're at a restaurant and spot a woman wearing a scrunchie.
Berger says, "Okay, I'm sorry to have to do this, but I do believe we are in the presence of a scrunchie. I also do believe, and correct me if I'm wrong that we are in New York City proper. This woman does not appear to be washing her face. She appears to be standing online at a hip, downtown restaurant. So kind kills your New York Woman theory." Carrie whispers, "She's not from New York." So Berger asks the woman what part of New York she lives in. And the woman responds with her thick Southern accent, "Gosh, I am from Macon, Georgia! But thanks, you made my whole day!"Photobucket

I rest my case about the scrunchie!

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

P.S. This episode is also the "He's just not that into you" episode. It's called Pick-A-Little, Talk-A-Little (episode 4) on Season Six Part One in case you're watching up for tomorrow's big movie release.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be a hater! Your friend in Memphis is probably ultra-cool, super sexy and totally irresistible to men with her wrist & hair scrunchie combo. Just my anonymous opinion though. :-)~