Friday, May 16, 2008

New Kids.. do they still have the right stuff?

Okay, I guess there's proof I'm not as die-hard of a New Kids Fan as I was as a teenager. I forgot to watch this morning's concert on Today Show. And I forgot to record it. Which in the late 80's/early 90's was a punishable offense. Without embarrassing myself too much I will tell you I recorded every single show they were on, even if it was for 60 seconds. I was that bad. But now...



Now, I just don't know. I wanted to be as excited as I was then, but I'm just not. There's something missing. Maybe I'm more cynical and not as easily excited. I still think Jordan can sing (yes, he's my favorite), Donnie's still got a great stage presence, Jonathon still looks uncomfortable, etc. All of them men still look good and they can still dance. But the songs just didn't send tingles up my spine like the used to. Maybe if I'd been there and seen it live? But I know I wouldn't stand in line 48 hours ahead of time. I didn't even do that then!




So thank goodness for the internet. It's wierd Joe was saying how in a way it seemed the last 15 years didn't happen and I guess in a way many of the fans feel that way. I still know the words to all the songs and Jordan's dimples still make me smile. But I'm definitely not going to cry to "I'll Be Loving You Forever." Yes, again with the laughing at me, I was known to do that. And maybe I just expected to feel like a 16 year old girl again, but I don't. What I do wish is I'd been a smarter NKOTB fan.




Several years ago when my parents sold the house I grew up in, I got rid of all of my old New Kids paraphernalia. TONS of it. My cousin, who I mentioned earlier this week, told me I should sell it on eBay. But did I listen? No. I figured who would want that crap? Big buttons, posters, trading cards, VCR tapes of all of their performances, etc. Silly me. Apparently if I'd waited a few years, I would have made a killing! BTW-- my cousin took the tour jacket, one I won in a magazine but never worse since I too old to wear to be seen in it. I hope she still has it, that's all I can say. Maybe she can make a few bucks.

Okay, I'm sorry I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I'm sure many New Kids fans feel differently about this comeback. And maybe I will when I see them in concert. Because let's face it, I'm definitely going if they stop in Tampa. I mean cynicism aside, I still have a crush on Jordan. And I loved those days. I was so carefree, no responsiblities. I had all the time in the world to know which day which new magazines came out with the New Kids in them. I apparently had a ton of spare cash to buy all that crazy New Kids stuff. I honestly didn't know anyone who had as much as me. I clearly I enjoyed those concerts. I stood there screaming and crying with the best of them at least five concerts, six if you include Jordan's solo show in Ybor City a few years ago (but I promise I didn't scream or cry at that one.)

I want to hear what you think about the concert? Ladies, please comment because I know you watched it. And if you didn't, I've included all of it right here on this blog.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched!! I had the television on and when that curtain dropped I got tingles!!
Especially since they started out with a medley of all their old stuff!!
It was fun. It was like a trip down memory lane.. and I am VERY excited about their tour. I'll totally go!

However.. I must admit.. they sang one new song and I walked away.

Just give me the classics.. kay?!

Brooke said...

I saw it. I have mixed emotions about the whole thing really. I did get a little teary when they were singing the old stuff (DON'T LAUGH!) I guess it was just the memories, but while I was getting nostalgic I started laughing hysterically. They just looked a little...silly. Okay, I said it.
And Jon, he looked like he wanted to crawl under a rock and die!
It was good to see them, I got a kick out of it but the whole thing was a bit surreal.

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch it and i forgot to record it too....i'll have to try pulling it up on youtube or something. And see, you should've listened to your lil cousin and made some money off of that stuff! I still have the jacket packed away somewhere. No way am I going to sell it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to totally disagree with you. I loved the concert. Granted it wasn't the most well produced thing I've seen them do but I did get all giddy seeing them perform again. I think it brought back those carefree days you wrote about. When I didn't have a care in the world, when I knew every show they were going to be on and every magazine they were going to be in. And when it was cool to have your bedroom walls covered with posters instead of art. I can't wait for the concert even more and Donnie looks hotter than ever!