Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Five important lessons I learned from my college boyfriend

Whenever things aren't going the way I want them to in my life, I play this dangerous game of "what if?" But I seriously don't second guess too many of the decisions I've made along the way. I like to live my life without regrets. So the only regret I tend to think about is "the one" that got away. My ex-boyfriend is married (I try to assume happily) and has a daughter (a beautiful one according to his mom) and I hate that I even know that. Now you'd think an intelligent woman in her 30s would know better than to tread in this deep water, but unfortunately it's just something I do.

So instead of feeling bad about this destructive behavior, I've learned to put a positive spin on it. And ladies I'm going to share some of the most important lessons I learned from him. You probably already know most of them, but some are worth hearing again. While I try and keep this blog relatively PG-13 most of the time since my parents read it, Mom & Dad you may have to skip past this one (or at least number 3!)

1. Men communicate differently. Don't assume they don't care.
While they may not always tell you how they feel, a lot of times they show you. Be sure not to overlook it because it's not always obvious to women. If he knows you hate to pump gas, he may take your car out and fill up your tank. If nachos are your guilty pleasure, he may surprise you with Taco Bell. Maybe not your idea of romantic, but he is showing you he cares.

2. Don't play dumb. Real men like intelligent women.
You don't have to play the ditzy girl role, and if you do, he's not the right man for you. A real man wants to be challenged. The same goes for competition. You don't have to throw a game. While he probably doesn't want to lose, he'll respect you more for your skills than if you let him win.

3. When you're naked, he's not looking at your fat. He's just happy you're naked.
Women are harder on themselves about their bodies than men are. Most of them don't expect us to look like supermodels or even want us to. While they enjoy looking at those women, they wouldn't change anything about us. So stop stressing about the cellulite or your big butt and have enjoy yourself!

4. When a man decides the relationship is over, don't waste your time trying to convince him otherwise.
Don't try and have 50 conversations about the breakup. Talking his ear off isn't going to change his mind. It's a bit cliche, but if you love something set it free. If it comes back, well you get the idea.

5. He probably does still think about you from time to time, but that doesn't mean he wants to get back together.
Men still think about their exes, especially ones they loved. So take some comfort knowing he likes remembering the good times too, but don't think about it too much or ask him if he does. Just move on.

And now, I need to go take my own advice on the last one.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aghghhh, i *hate* it when girls play the dumb card... it's NOT cute, just annoying.

but i probably hate it even more when the dumb card works on guys that you previously thought were too smart to fall for the dumb card [and the girls that play them].