Friday, May 2, 2008

"Green" Shopping Dilemma

So there's something I've been wondering for the past couple weeks. When it comes to shopping with those reusable bags, is it okay to ask the cashier to use your Publix bags at Walgreens or Macy's bag in Target? Or is that breaking some sort of shopping rule?

I've been trying really hard to cut down on using plastic bags. According to Publix the average American uses 336 plastic bags a year, and only about 1 percent of those are recycled. I think I'm finally remembering to take my Publix bags when I go grocery shopping, well most of the time. Thanks to my friendly cashier this week, I even have a nice little decal for my car windshield with a green Publix bag on it to remind me.

But then I went into Target and saw the store at its own reusable bags. So I wondered am I supposed to buy ones from each store? If I'm buying tons of these reusable bags that's going to cost more. And let's face it, most of us don't have extra money to spend.

A few months ago I got suckered into buying one from the Body Shop. The salesperson gave me the spiel on saving the environment and then on top of it told me part of the proceeds went to domestic violence prevention. Well how could I say no to that? It would be like saying I don't care if we ruin the environment and women get beaten! All joking aside, I've used that bag a few times for carrying things, but still wasn't sure if I could use it in CVS or Walgreens.

Is there protocol when it comes to this? Is a cashier going to refuse to use a different brand bag? I asked one of my friends and she told me she's been using these bags for nearly two years and has "never had a problem." She did have a good tip though, the ones at Macy's are larger and would be better for shopping at department or discount stores. Then you keep the Publix ones just for food.

But afterward I started to wonder again, will Sweetbay workers give me a hard time if I bring in my Publix bags? Oh the dilemma! What do you think? E-mail me at missattitude@missattitude.us.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Digg!

3 comments:

Miss Attitude said...

Here are some of the comments I've received so far:

There is no rule - spoken or unwritten - that you must use the bag from that store. That would totally defeat the true meaning behind the concept. I own about 5 from one store and I use those everywhere.
The day any store insists I only use theirs will be the day I stop shopping there :-)

Way to go green!!

-------------------

In these times of economic hardships one would be grateful to see you spending money in their stores.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure places like grocery stores or pharmacies won't care what bags you use -- you're saving them money by not using their bags and no one but you and the cashier sees them.

However, I was really annoyed at the mall the other day when the salesperson at Victoria Secret seemed shocked and somewhat offended that I would throw the underwear I just bought in my purse and not use one of her bright pink bags. I think clothing retailers enjoy the free advertising by people toting their bags through the mall. That will hopefully change soon.

Ms. Sassy said...

okay my whole thing is if everyone is on this "going green" kick why are they still making plastic bags. Has anyone asked this question. Or is that too much of a reasonable question. I don't know just a thought!