Sunday, May 25, 2008

Maybe I should have stuck with my shoe addiction!

My newest addiction may not last as long as my love affair with shoes. At first I was so excited. It's new and immediate and, the best part, free! I'm talking about Twitter. If you haven't heard of Twitter before, Wikipedia has this description: Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send "updates" (or "tweets"; text-based posts, up to 140 characters long) to the Twitter website, via short message service (SMS), instant messaging, or a third-party application such as Twitterrific or Facebook. Earlier this month, Business Week published an article about why Twitter matters.

It's kind of funny how a couple of months ago I didn't even know what a tweet was, now I can't stop myself from sending them. You can follow me on Twitter from my Website or my MySpace page. I'd like to think I'm amusing, entertaining even, well sometimes. But some of my fellow twits are much more entertaining with the tweets. They post links to stories, videos and pics before I see them anywhere else. I even get great ideas for my blogs this way.

But there is a major downside, now nearly impossible to ignore, to this new addiction. Twitter goes down a lot. The traffic has exploded and the technology can't keep up! So sometimes there I am ready to go and I can't get on the site. Or I get a lame message like this:
Something is technically wrong.
Thanks for noticing—we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon.

But just a short time ago it got worse:
Twitter will be short some features while we recover from a database crash. See our blog post for the whole story. And I'm not the only one ready to give up this Twitter addiction. Some of my fellow Twits are sending tweets like this:

"Well. With the way Twitter is going, I am just trying to prepare for life after Twitter"
"Dear Twitter, Please stop barfing on me or I'll have to break up with you. Thanks, Jeff"

And they're venting away on the blog too:

"A computer keyboard, in a moment of anger, turns a law-abiding citizen into a criminal."
"Guys...don't go the Friendster way! I love Twitter a lot and would hate to see that!"

While some of the posts remind us it is a free service, that doesn't help me witht his disappointing feeling. I feel so let down, something that's never happened with my shoes. Maybe I need those Betsey Johnson shoes afterall.
Photobucket

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Bookmark and Share

No comments: