Thursday, May 22, 2008

I want one!



I love tigers and what's cuter than tiger cubs? This is video from the Associated Press of Five endangered cubs born at the St. Louis Zoo.

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Five rare tiger cubs have been born at the Saint Louis Zoo.

The zoo says the critically endangered Amur (ah-MOOR') tigers were born April 28 and are in an off-display indoor den.

The zoo says the first-time mother, Kalista, is busy nursing and caring for her babies.

The normal litter size is two or three cubs. The five weigh 4.5 to 7 pounds each.

The species used to be called Siberian tigers. They are at risk because of habitat loss, human encroachment and poaching.


If I could, I'd take one home. I say that knowing that even cubs can be pretty dangerous. I love to tell the story about how I was mauled by a tiger cub when I was a kid. I was at Cypress Gardens with my grandparents and a trainer was walking "Tasha" around the park. I stopped to pet the tiger cub and the cub apparently thought I was playing. She proceeded to swat at my legs, leaving me with some pretty big welts. Though my grandmother kept saying, "They wouldn't have it here if it could hurt you." HELLO! It is a tiger!

Later on we saw the cub with a different trainer. He was telling a group of people they shouldn't pet the cub like a cat, instead pat the tiger on her side. He said when you pet the head, it thinks you want to play. And that Tasha did. Ouch!


Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

Digg!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll take TWO, please! (hey, they're small) I noticed at the end of the video the lil guy in the upper right of the screen looks like he's about to hork up a hairball...