Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Do men read women's magazines?

I was recently reading Cosmo.. or maybe it was Allure.. hmmm.. no Cosmo.. Anyway, I was reading an article about tips to flirting. It said a woman should gently touch a man's arm during conversation to show she's interested. Not exactly brain surgery, but I could have sworn I'd read it in more than one women's magazine in the past few months. And to be honest I didn't think a lot about it, until this weekend.

I was at a party with one of my friends, and I'm not exaggerating when I say at least six guys touched my arm at some point that night while they were talking to me. After the first few times I began to wonder, are me reading these magazines too? Is that where they're getting their dating advice?

I even pointed this fact out to my friend and she laughed and thought the idea was definitely blog worthy. So last night, at book club after we were done discussing the book (because we actually do that), I told some of the girls. I just knew they'd be just as amused.

But the first thing one of them said was "What were you wearing?" When I answered, she said it wasn't a surprise men were touching my arm. This is the dress:
Photobucket

But I guarantee you, I don't quite look like that in this dress. Plus, I'm short so it's longer on me. Definitely to my knees. And you guessed it, I'm not thin like that or leggy. But, I do admit I fill out the top pretty well. Nonetheless, I still think the coincidence is peculiar.

For most of the party I was just sitting on a bar stool at the bar. I wasn't doing anything to attract any of the men's attention. Just being myself, talking to my friend and some of the people at the party. Well, maybe that was the key, not that they'd read the article too. Maybe by not being interested I seemed more interesting. Wait, I'm sure that's a tip in one of those articles too, right? So if the men read that, did they just think I was playing hard to get? And how do I find out if men's new dating techniques are to use our own weapons against us?

I'm not sure many of the men talking to me that night would admit to reading Cosmo, even I asked and they did. In fact, one so entertainingly told all of the women standing around he'd hook up with all of us, but wouldn't marry a single one of us. He said, "I love myself too much." Touché.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Bookmark and Share

No comments: