Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm actually surpised this doesn't happen more often


Warning: do not watch this if you're offended by the f-word.

WNBC longtime anchor Sue Simmons dropped the f bomb during a live primetime promo. She apologized on the 11 p.m. newscast, but is that enough? Or is it just an honest mistake? According to the New York Times Simmons aimed that remark at her co-worker in “mock derision” and she thought the segment was being taped. Others have been fired for doing less.

I have to say it's surprising this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I've worked with tons of anchors who say inappropriate things, including curse words and crude comments, right up to the very last second before coming back live from commercial. And to be honest, that always made me uncomfortable as a producer. Don't get me wrong, I've been known to curse in the booth, but I also never signed up to be on air.

Now the story on the New York Post is a little saucier. It says former colleagues say Simmons enjoyed liquid dinners in between newscasts and sometimes she was tipsy on air. While those are pretty serious allegations, it's not all that uncommon in TV news. I've worked with a few of those anchors in my time as well. Ones that reeked of alcohol after returning from dinner, but believe it or not those aren't the ones I ever heard cursing during commercial breaks. At least not while I still worked with them.

WNBC is keeping tight lipped about the situation, saying the station doesn't discuss personnel issues.. leaving people to speculate if the long time veteran anchor will be suspended or fired.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

No comments: