Monday, July 7, 2008

Do boys call anymore?

Here's what I want to know, do boys bother to call you anymore? Or do they really think texting is the only way to communicate? A few months ago, I ran into a boy I used to work with several years ago. For some bizarre reason it seemed like we were both interested in each other now, when it had never really been an option or possibility before. Okay, maybe it's not so bizarre. He's very cute and a lot of fun. He was married and I used to be his boss. Guess that's why. Anyway, after an exchange of phone numbers and text messages it seemed to me like we would never actually get together in person. And while frustrating, I'm not going to beg a boy to ask me out to dinner. Then a few weeks ago, while in Key West with my friends, I received a text message from him on a Saturday night. "What are you doing?" it read. I didn't respond.

Here's the deal. I was out with my friends. And honestly what was the point of responding? I hadn't heard from him for weeks prior to that and the last time when I actually (gasp) tried calling he only texted back. So I figure ignoring it was my best bet. Then while on vacation in Ocean City, MD one of my friends sent me an e-mail saying he was asking her about me. He told her he'd been trying to get in touch with me for some time now to have dinner and our schedules never match up, etc. He mentioned the ignored text and asked if I was mad at him. She told him she didn't think so and that I was out of town for the week. Then the following day he told her he'd checked out Miss Attitude and wanted to know what the blog was all about. I'm not sure why I'm telling you this part, except I guess to recognize it's possible he's going to read this blog entry so I'm choosing my words carefully!

Anyway, more than a week later I still hadn't heard from him. I knew I should just let it go. But the attitude in me just couldn't, so I e-mailed him. (Wait, before you criticize me for e-mailing and not calling, I have to confess I no longer had his phone number.) Within a few hours, he e-mailed me back with an included "I figured you were mad at me." And still no invitation for dinner. I don't know why I expected anything different. It's obvious this just isn't going to pan out. So the answer my friend is no, I'm not mad at you. I'm just no longer interested in playing the game. If you ever want to go out to dinner, I'd love to go. All you have to do is call me and ask.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude

Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Marissa said...

Dudette! I so know your plight. I encountered the same thing when dealing with (gag) match.com and eHarmony.com. Seriously. I know.
I like voices. I enjoy laughter especially when it's shared. Too much can be missed or read into a text. Blech! And then most of it's abbreviated garble.
Perhaps the voice is too intimate for some of these boys. Like how Julia Roberts and Richard Gere wouldn't kiss in "Pretty Woman" because it's too personal. HA!

Anonymous said...

I thought the boy is far away... Is this a different boy?

Anonymous said...

You have a strong head on a your shoulders and you know what you want. Hold out for what's important to you - respect and human interaction.

Anonymous said...

Cut that one loose! I'm curious as to who this person is...hmmmm...Erin in Tucson

Anonymous said...

Even in this digital age, it is not too much to expect the guy to call you. Don't lower your expectations. d

Anonymous said...

Are you mad at him. I mean is he a girl. It is amazing b/c if we act like that they say they can not deal with us. whatever!!! Tell him to get some (you know what) if he wants to ask you to dinner.