Sunday, July 6, 2008

Can you say stress?

This week is going to be a doozy! I'm not quite ready to share all of the details, so I hope you'll respect my privacy. People who know me well aren't used to me keeping my mouth shut (EVER!) or not returning phone calls. I probably owe a hundred apologies already and it may just get worse. But we all deal with stress and anxiety in our own ways. And I've tried to cope with mine as best as I could.

During the past few months, I've been very blessed with supportive family members and friends. I've also been very lucky to make some new friends through Miss Attitude. I want each and everyone of you to know how much I appreciate it. For me it's been challenging at times to remain positive. It was easy at first to put that spin on it and soldier on, but after a few months with no full-time job you start to lose a little faith. A little faith in yourself and in others. How could an employer not want to hire me? I'm fabulous! Didn't you read the Marie Claire article about me? Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, things are finally starting to look up for me and I couldn't be happier about the possibility of paying the bills with an income instead of the little that's left from my IRA. Yet, life is never quite as easy as we want it to be. And for once in my life I really feel like I don't have the answers. I know you're probably saying, "Who does have all the answers?" But honestly, I've always been good at knowing exactly what I want to do with my life career-wise and how to get there. And the not knowing is definitely unsettling for a type-A personality.

I'm very appreciative for the new opportunities I'm about to have. And I hope with a little time, my focus will become clearer. As I've often said, "If patience is a virtue, then I'm not virtuous!" And that is the honest to goodness truth! Sometimes I worry about every little thing and have a difficult time just going with the flow. I like to be in charge of everything. Yes, my friends and former employees alike can probably share some clear examples. But instead of feeling in charge lately, I've felt like I've been at the hands of others. It's a feeling I don't enjoy and find difficult to digest. And telling the stories of rejection over and over again, do not make you feel any better about yourself or where your life is headed.

I've had to remind myself, that I'm not alone in this feeling. In fact, the folks at Marie Claire wanted you to get that from the feature. I'd like to quote from the Editor-in-Chief Joanna Coles:

"Closer to home, the pink slips are flying as mass corporate layoffs are becoming the norm. The good news is, if it happens to you, there's a very good chance you'll weather it in style, just like the women in our package 'Surviving a Layoff' (p. 94). As Carrie herself put it, after taking a memorable tumble on the runway, 'When real people fall down in life, like they get right back up and keep walking.' Amen to that!"




If you only read the article online, you missed this part. For me it was a pleasant surprise to be compared to Carrie Bradshaw. I know she's a fictional character, but she's also someone women across the country can relate to. She's an intelligent, successful and stylish woman. The woman you want to be, the woman you want to be friends with. And you know she has flaws, but you cheer for her too. So this was the highest compliment you could pay me. Well that, and the compliments from young women like a recent college graduate who e-mailed after reading about me in the magazine.

Dear Miss Attitude,

I'm a loyal Marie Claire reader and after reading about you in the latest issue I decided to check out your website. You seem like a successful woman with a great head on your shoulders and I could use your advice at this point in my life.


She goes on to talk about how she quit her job to re-locate back home. And then six months later found herself still out of work despite intense job search efforts.

I happen to think I have a pretty impressive resume for someone my age but I am starting to feel as if all my hard work and determination were for nothing. Some days I feel as if I have been stripped away of all my pride and confidence. To me, the worse part is knowing that I put myself in this position.

I responded to her e-mail with some advice, including something I needed to remind myself as well.

The one thing I have learned is you have to remain confident about your abilities. You have to remind yourself that all of that hard work did matter and be proud of what you've accomplished so far....
Use that determination you have to stay focused and eventually you will find another job. And keep in mind you may have to accept a position that isn't quite perfect. Sometimes we have to take smaller steps to reach a larger goal. Good luck with your search and keep me posted.


The other day I received an e-mail update and was excited to learn she's found a new job as an assistant to the mayor in her hometown. So perhaps having some faith in yourself is really all you need at the end of the day. And taking your own advice doesn't hurt either! So I know I'll get through this week just like I've gotten through everything else and come out better for it in the end. Just don't get upset if I don't return your phone call;)

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you were fabulous from the moment I first spotted you plurking in the distance. I'm so happy you found a new job and I can't wait to hear all the details!

dalydose said...

I am excited for you and hope all the activity and stress of the upcoming week is worth it. Keep at it girl...keep being your own biggest fan. I'm definitely IN the fanclub as are a ton of other people, I'm sure, but you YOU have to be the President!

Anonymous said...

You will be fantastic at whatever you do. Yes, you do have a big week ahead of you and more important decisions to make. Remember what I suggested before, and it will all work out.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl...I've been checking your blog on and off. I'm sorry I haven't left a comment before. I hope you have big news soon! You are doing fabulous with your website. - Erin in Tucson