Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why is it so hard?

I don't understand why I have such a difficult time getting rid of clothes that no longer fit. I cleaned out my closet two months ago. Despite the generous "2 year rule" or less generous "6 month rule", I simply can't toss out clothes I like, even if I haven't worn them in 2 years. And who cares that I still can't fit in them? I just might lose those few extra pounds, right?

I was on the tread mill yesterday afternoon reading an article in In Style about the dreaded closet clean-out. It basically said you're torturing yourself to keep clothes that don't fit, either too large or too small. It said instead of punishing yourself for your flaws, you should toss em all out and buy something flattering that makes you feel good about yourself. So I got motivated.

A few hours later, I decided to clean out my dresser drawers. Sorry, I still can't bring myself to toss out some of those cute tops in my closet. So I hit the workout clothes first. I have tons of cute little shorts and tanks that seriously haven't fit me in six years. It was a time when I was obsessively working out 6-7 times a week and following my trainer in the gym and the kitchen word for word. So why do I torture myself? And if even if I do lose more weight like I'm trying to do, why should I wear clothes that old?

So out those workout clothes went. Next went tons of t-shirts. It's not that the tees don't fit, it's more like they're just not my style. I have Bucs Super Bowl tees, Ravens Super Bowl tees, an Orioles tee, etc. Not the cute girlie tees, but the ones your brother, boyfriend or husband would wear. I even had a few several left from college. So even though I don't wear those shirts, why can't I toss them? It seems so silly. So I put them in the donation bag for The Spring of Tampa Bay, well all except for one or two nostalgic ones.

Photobucket

Then went the shorts. But when I got the drawer with my jeans, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Jeans are pretty expensive and when you find some you love you never want to get rid of them. Plus, I have this amazing pair of Paige Premiums I'm going to get myself back into if it kills me.

Stylishly yours,
Miss Attitude


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

TaraMetBlog said...

I do the one year rule, but then if i know I spent a lot of money on an item I find it harder to make myself part with it and then it stays another year. But if another season comes by and out comes the same item again, then I do try to not think about it and donate it away. Jeans however, those I hardly get rid of, I'm the same there, they are too much money.

Ms. Sassy said...

I am the worst. I always think maybe I will wear it. You have just motivated me to get off me bum and clean out my closet. I guess it is a good thing, if I clean out then I can reward myself to put something new it its place.